In 1891, Armijo began as a small one-room school house with 30 students, and grew over the past 100 years to it's present size of 2,600 students. It has served its alumni through world wars, depression, and many good years, encouraging its students to take what they had learned and give to the community and the country.

The school started with a single classroom over Crystal Elementary School, with a mere thirty students. After that, it was moved to a simple wooden frame building where it remained for about fifteen years. During that time the student population ranged from about twenty to forty students, very smal
l in comparison to today's size. The school was then moved to the large white, stone building that is now used as courthouse. There it stayed for about fifty years, and this is where it grew the most. Within the last thirty years we moved to the buildings that Armijo is presently situated in at 824 Washington Street.

Though the buildings that housed Armijo have changed, the name and the purpose of Armijo has always remained. Since 1891, many people have passed through it's halls; people that went on to be famous, and people that are memorable in their own right. In the beginning, alumni were kept track of after they graduated. There were always pages in the first yearbooks stating what it's alumnus were doing at that present day. Armijo has survived a lot of damage; earthquakes, fires, and just trying to cope with time. Although Armijo was scathed a little, it always came through with just a touch more character than it had before. Armijo High School students have always been individuals, just as they are today. Armijo has prospered over the ages, though it is the same today as it was one hundred years ago...a place for learning.



 The roots of the Armijo Alumni can be traced back to an alumni get together in 1956 at the Farm Bureau Center. The members who showed up to that function signed a guest book which can viewed by clicking here.

In 1990 a committee was formed to make preparations for the school's centennial celebration of 1991.  August 1991 was the final meeting of the Armijo Centennial Committee and several alumni, including some who had attended the 1956 event, urged them to keep it going.

Harry Chadbourne, Class of 1936, in particular, gave a tearful plea. Ruth Smith Hagemann, Class of 1933,stood and made the first donation of $100 for the advancement of the Armijo Alumni Association.

With the guidance of Bert Hughes, the Armijo Alumni Association formed in the fall of 1991.  The original founders were:  Jeannie Marianno, Class of 1948; Elayne Serpas, Class of 1947, David Marianno, Class of 1952; Kathy Downey, Class of 1958; Nanciann Gregg, Class of 1959, Gordene Pienovi, Class of 1960 and Tim Farmer, Class of 1971.


Since 1992, with member support, the Armijo Alumni Association has provided college scholarships to qualified students. In 2010, we merged with Assist-a-Grad Scholarship Foundation, Inc (click here to view their website).



 There are other websites that are alumni-related, but they are for-profit enterprises which do not benefit Armijo High School in any way. They do not help fund on campus projects, support extra-curricular activities or award college scholarships--none of the things that your Armijo Alumni Association has been doing for over two decades. That is why our website is linked to the official Armijo High School Website (click here, then click the "Our School" and then "Alumni") and others are not.

At best, those other websites represent
nostalgia opportunists who are poor imitators of the Armijo Alumni Association. At worst, some of them appear to be outright scams.                                                                      

                                          Click the icon below for details